Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hope (a better one)...

I was writing up some verses I’ve been challenged by lately, and found the theme of ‘a better hope’ kept coming up, so I have given them a post of their own together. I don’t pretend this is an exhaustive list of all the ‘hope’ bits in the Bible, as it is full of hope, hope being intrinsically linked to Grace I think maybe/somehow. But now upon realising how these have all come up at a time when I have been struggling with plans and ideas for my future, lacking in direction and learning to give up control of my life to God, what John Piper says in the Ruth talks from Forum 2008 seems to be true –Naomi had no hope, and it stopped her from seeing the great things God was doing in her life, and the great plans He had for her. So I must have confidence in the Hope we have in God to be able to “run with endurance the race that is set for us” (Hebrews 12:1). I don’t think that makes much sense, but basically, listen to those Ruth talks, and also Sean Green at RFC on 10/05/09 –another gracious encouragement from our God. And have hope in God too!

But here are a few scribbled thoughts on ‘hope’...



Hebrews 7:18-25...
18 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Heb 7:18-25

I love the phrase ‘a better hope’, which describes what 1 Peter 1:3-5 describes this way:

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:3-5

Hebrews 11:8-9


8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. 9 By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise.

Heb 11:8-9

Abraham knew not what God had in store for him, but set off into the desert anyway. How trusting is that. I must learn from Abraham, and not be worrying about what is ahead because I cannot yet see it... (since writing this, God has in fact begun to graciously reveal his plan!)

Hebrews 11:16

16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

Heb 11:16

It is heaven we focus on, and hope for, not lusting after the temporary things of this life (I’m sure there is a verse saying that better somewhere. Let me know if you know it).

Hebrews 11:32-40

32 And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. 35 Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. 36 Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— 38 of whom the world was not worthy— wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
39 And all these,
though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.

Heb 11:32-40

Wow. I don’t really know what to say, that is quite a list (yes, another list readers!). Paul has one which I might put in the accompanying ‘verse blog’.

These guys did not get what they were promised. Why do I get so upset when God doesn’t tell me what to do for the year when I graduate? All these things they endured for our God. To say ‘our’ makes me feel so inadequate! But again, “thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!” (2 Cor 9:15) that means my deficiency doesn’t matter, and I can stand alongside these guys, those “of whom the world was not worthy” (v38). I should follow their example, fixing my eyes the better thing God has prepared for us.

[By now you probably can guess I’ve been going through Hebrews lately!]

I’ve just looked up in my concordance all the verses on hope in the Bible, and there are so many that I remember as I look, so here’s a list of some of them for you to look up in your own time:

Titus 3:4-7
Titus 2:13
1 Timothy 4:10
Colossians 1:27
Colossians 1:15
Ephesians 1:18
Galatians 5:5
2 Cor :1:10
1 Cor 13:13
Romans 8:24
Romans 5:4
Psalm 42:5
Psalm 39:7

So, have hope! Most of this, as I said earlier, is as I find myself unsure of the next step after University, and learning to trust God more and more in that. Just some thoughts, but not all of them (there are usually to many to record here in time before they are forgotten):

It strikes me also that Jesus didn’t just turn 21 and start preaching. He got a job, and worked with his hands. He was 30 by the time he started out changing the world. 30. Most of us young scaly-wags see life as essentially over by then. In fact, so do most people. Well, if Jesus is our example, then I look forward to turning 30! I look at people like Sean Green, who I admire and find a great example (for a human that is, and after Jesus!), didn’t just go straight into ministry, but got a job, lived, grew up (I begin to generalise, I don’t actually know much about his life before he planted RFC) and ‘walked with God’. I’m not saying there is a technique or pattern, I’m just rebuking myself, and hopefully anyone else out there young, head full of theology and ‘UCCF-ed’ up, thinking they are God’s gift to the church (I exaggerate, hopefully you get my point, and nobody takes that the wrong way!) that: 1) God has a plan. His own one. A perfect one. One that will work out best for us and for his glory. 2) He doesn’t work on our timescale. 3) We might just have to get our heads down and work. 4) God will come and get us when he’s good and ready. 5) something else wise and helpful. Can be found at your local church leader, not here!

So:

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:1-2

1 comment:

  1. not all lists are bad =) ive been thinking similar thoughts re: agh whatll i do!!? especially prominent after not so fun exams where my grade may not necessarily dependable for future comings and goings. these hope verses and thoughts come at a good time son.

    ReplyDelete