Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The extent to which I like the ESV...

When I quote the ESV, which is most often always in this blog, I feel it’s a real demonstration about how much I enjoy using it...

This is what it looks like coming from http://www.biblegateway.com/:

2 Corinthians 6:3-13 (English Standard Version)

3We(A) put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, 4but(B) as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way:(C) by great endurance,(D) in afflictions,(E) hardships, calamities, 5(F) beatings, imprisonments,(G) riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; 6(H) by purity,(I) knowledge, patience, kindness,(J) the Holy Spirit,(K) genuine love; 7by(L) truthful speech, and(M) the power of God; with(N) the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; 8through honor and dishonor,(O) through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; 9as unknown, and(P) yet well known;(Q) as dying, and behold, we live;(R) as punished, and yet not killed; 10(S) as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing;(T) as poor, yet making many rich;(U) as having nothing,(V) yet possessing everything.

11We have spoken freely to you,[a] Corinthians;(W) our heart is wide open. 12You are not restricted by us, but(X) you are restricted in your own affections. 13(Y) In return (I speak(Z) as to children) widen your hearts also.



And it takes a good 5 minutes of editing to present it in my perfectionistic way, like this:


3 We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, 4 but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, 5 beatings, imprisonments, riots, labours, sleepless nights, hunger; 6 by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; 7 by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; 8 through honour and dishonour, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; 9 as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; 10 as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything.

11 We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open. 12 You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. 13 In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also.
2 Corinthians 6:3-13

Note: The English spelling, the spaces between the verses and text, and the removal of the notes!


BUT: The ESV does make one annoying...well, it’s not an error as such, but it makes one of my favourite verses much less...'compelling' shall we say:


2 Corinthians 5:14...

ESV: 14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;


NIV: 14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.

‘Compel’ is so much more helpful (in my humble opinion)! And I personally feel much more encouraged by that word used. ‘Control’ is almost robotic...A phrase I found myself using a few terms ago leading RUCU cell/small group, that I didn’t want us to be ‘robot Christians’ –devoid of emotion when we talk of Grace or Salvation or Forgiveness or the Truth of the Bible or the Supremacy of Christ or our being Compelled on by Christ’s great love for us...I don’t want to be a robot Christian. I hope and pray sometime soon I can wake up each morning ‘Compelled’ to glorify Christ. ‘Controlled’ is indeed correct yes, I am now a 'slave to righteousness'. It should be my mindset and my default setting, and that is fantastic that it is! But as I think I mentioned a few posts back Jesus demands our obedience yes indeed, but also deserves it, and we should act like he does. Compels, personally, makes me realise how Christ deserves such a response from us.

Now, hopefully a massive argument about the use of words will not kick off too much! Only helpful and edifying things to be commented! But I am aware of the need for accuracy, and I rejoice in the accuracy and honesty of the Bible, which the ESV delivers, as hopefully I’ve just shown...so really, I don't mind that much, and am pretty happy to accept that the less prefered translation might well be a more accurate translation of the Greek. But I still like the other...

I’m late for the prayer meeting (Originally written last Wednesday). Oh dear...see ya.

2 comments:

  1. If you copy and paste from ESV.org you don't get so many of the very very annoying (AA)'s...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh really....how very handy indeed! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete